A HELL OF A FINALE
TO A DECADE OF ASSASSINATION
It began with John F. Kennedy in 1963. Then Malcolm X in 1965. Martin Luther King in April 1968. And then, in June of the same year, President Kennedy’s brother Robert fell before an assassin’s bullets at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.
But how many shooters were there, really? And who sent them? In this astonishing, meticulously researched novel, bestselling author Max Allan Collins—Mystery Writers of America Grand Master—takes Nathan Heller, "Private Eye to the Stars," from the scene of the crime to Hollywood’s seediest haunts, from striptease joints to Washington D.C.’s corridors of power to a deadly desert showdown in the sands outside Las Vegas, all in pursuit of the truth about a conspiracy that may have put the wrong man in jail, let the real killers go free, and snuffed out the life of a man poised to become the next president of the United States.
- First publication anywhere!
- Bookends the 40-year Heller saga, which began with the Shamus Award-winning TRUE DETECTIVE and the secrets behind another attempted political assassination
- Cover painting by acclaimed artist Paul Mann
Raves for Max Allan Collins and Nathan Heller...
- "The master of true-crime fiction."
- — Chicago Magazine
- "Collins’ witty, hard-boiled prose would make Raymond Chandler proud."
- — Entertainment Weekly
- "The Nate Heller historical crime novels consistently mesmerize with their carefully researched period detail—noir meets The History Channel."
- — Booklist
- "A unique private eye series with a believable, enduring hard-boiled hero."
- — Los Angeles Times
- "Nathan Heller is the perfect private eye."
- — New York Daily News