SOMETIMES WINNING FEELS AN AWFUL LOT LIKE LOSING.
Cab driver Chet Conway was hoping for a good tip from his latest fare, the sort he could spend. But what he got was a tip on a horse race. Which might have turned out okay, except that when he went to collect his winnings Chet found his bookie lying dead on the living room floor.
Chet knows he had nothing to do with it—but just try explaining that to the cops, to the two rival criminal gangs who each think Chet’s working for the other, and to the dead man’s beautiful sister, who has flown in from Las Vegas to avenge her brotherís murder...
Raves for the work of Donald E. Westlake
- First publication in more than 35 years!
- Best-selling author has been named a Grandmaster by the Mystery Writers of America
- Academy Award nominee for the screenplay of "The Grifters"
- "Priceless...Westlake has a genius for comic strategy[,] a lunatic brilliance."
- — The New York Times
- "If there is any funnier mystery novelist around, I can't imagine who it might be."
- — USA Today
- "One of the great writers of the 20th Century."
- — Newsweek