DYING WAS ONLY THE BEGINNING.
Steven Blitz didn’t think about his own safety when he saw the man trying to force a woman into his car. He stepped in to defend her, and got a knife to the gut for his troubles.
But when he wakes up in the hospital from what should have been a fatal wound, he finds the whole world changed—a different president in the White House, a loving family when he’d been on the verge of divorce, more money in the bank than he’s ever seen. There’s a dark side, though: in this world, Steven Blitz is not a good man. And now he’s got to get himself out of serious trouble without even knowing what it is he’s done wrong.
A paranoid thriller in the mind-bending tradition of Philip K. Dick and The Twilight Zone, THE NEXT TIME I DIE will draw you into its claustrophobic web of suspense and leave you questioning everything you think you know.
- First publication anywhere!
- Extraordinary suspense from the award-winning author, celebrating his 25th year in publishing
- One of Hard Case Crime’s rare forays into the realm of the fantastical, previously reserved only for Stephen King, Michael Crichton and Ray Bradbury
- Ian Rankin on THE NEXT TIME I DIE: "So fresh and clever and compelling. I don’t know when I last turned pages so quickly."
- Bret Easton Ellis on THE NEXT TIME I DIE: "I really don’t know how Jason Starr does it: I start out thinking I’m only going to read a chapter and an hour later I’m on page eighty. Every book has a hook and Starr rolls it out effortlessly."
- Joe Hill on THE NEXT TIME I DIE: "A paranoid noir freakout playing its own one-of-a-kind game...and a shameless page-turner."
- Wallace Stroby on THE NEXT TIME I DIE: "An audacious mindbender of a novel. A high-octane cocktail of infidelity, murder and alternate realities, served up straight from the Twilight Zone."
- Alison Gaylin on THE NEXT TIME I DIE: "Completely enthralling. THE NEXT TIME I DIE is sharp, super-suspenseful and impossible to put down."
- Booklist on THE NEXT TIME I DIE: "Mind-bending, genre-blending...the story is dark, twisted, funny, frightening, and—in a strange way—uplifting."
Acclaim for Jason Starr...
- "Jason Starr is hypnotically good...some of the best new writing there is."
- — Lee Child
- "Jason Starr is the leader of the new noir movement."
- — George Pelecanos
- "Jason Starr is the first writer of his generation to convincingly update the modern crime novel by giving it provocative new spins."
- — Bret Easton Ellis
- "You can’t stop reading."
- — Newsweek